Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Well-Behaved Child

Eden is a strong-willed child by nature (we are honestly not sure where she got it) and if she wants to do something, by-golly she will do it! She is also a sweet little girl who is sensitive and girly as all get-out. My job as a mom is to make a disciple of her (and Coop) and lead her in obedience. I have really struggled with how to implement good discipline (root word of discipline is disciple) with her because she is strong-willed and I seem like the nice flaky mom to her but with the help of my wonderful husband (and TONS of prayer) and tips from other parents and a good book that I am currently reading ("The Well-Behaved Child by John Rosemond), I think I am getting off on a good foot.

"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:11

"Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

Thank you Garry for being a leader and reminding me that our ultimate goal isn't to have a child who is good at the grocery store but who has a heart for Christ.

1 comment:

  1. So true, Karlee! I have to constantly remind myself of two things in this job of parenting:
    1) my ultimate goal is not to end bad behavior but help my child see their need for a Savior
    and
    2) having an impressive child should not be my greatest desire but having a child who submits to Christ

    I need constant reminders to stay on this path. It's just so easy to get caught up in good behavior. Thankful God is seemingly giving you both much grace as you parent those two precious babes.

    ReplyDelete