Monday, January 31, 2011

Meatless Mondays

I only go grocery shopping every other week on Monday or Tuesday. Since I randomly started my meatless Mondays without really thinking about what food I had on hand, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel to make a nice meatless meal. Looking in my fridge we find lots of cheese, salsa, sour cream, milk, almond milk, bacon, turkey pepperoni, romaine lettuce and two eggs - it is looking pretty bare in there...it always does every Monday morning (we have plenty of food in our house just nothing that doesn't require a little preparation on my part).

I was going to make a black bean burrito recipe a friend sent me but I used my black beans in a soup I had to change up because of a dead crock pot (don't get me started on how sad I am that my crock pot has died a random, tragic death) and I didn't have three of the other ingredients the recipe called for. So, last night I was stuck with a dilemma, or so I thought, do I suck it up and go out and buy supplies for today's meatless Monday or do I figure something out with what I have in my pantry? Since I am cheap, and hate going out Sunday nights after the kids are in bed, I chose the latter.

What did I find that I could make? I am going to make bean burritos made with a can of refried black beans, mexican rice, cheese, and canned tomatoes. I am sure these will be super filling! No special recipe, just cooking the rice up and mixing in some salsa and then putting all the ingredients into tortillas and baking for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Should be yummy, should be easy:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment