Monday, January 24, 2011

Meatless Mondays

I am not much of a meat person. I like it but I don't feel I need it to make a filling meal. And meat is expensive and takes up a good chunk of my grocery budget. So, Garrett and I have decided to go meatless on Mondays. Nothing crazy. I am excited to see the benefits it will have on my grocery budget.

I will admit that I was a little nervous about suggesting this to Garrett because he is a meat man. It didn't take any convincing at all!

So, if you are looking for a way to shave a dollar or two off your grocery budget or just want to stretch your dollar even more, try going meatless one day!

Here is what we had for our first Meatless Monday:
Broccoli Cheese Soup and homemade bread

Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
3 medium sized carrots
1 bundle of broccoli cut into florets
1/4 onion
4 TBSP divided
3 cups of chicken stock
2 cups of milk
1/4 cup flour
1 garlic clove chopped
2 cups cheddar cheese

In a large sauce pan, melt 2 TBSP of butter and then saute carrots (chopped into small bits), onion, and garlic. Add chicken stock and broccoli florets and bring to a boil. In another large pan, melt the rest of the butter and whisk in flour. Then add milk and stir to combine. Let it thicken for about 2 minutes and add cheese. Then dump everything from the first pot into the pot with the cheese and stir to combine and serve! Voila! A yummy, meatless dinner!

3 comments:

  1. So fun! We do "Three Dollar Thursdays!" I like the adventure of having to plan a meal for our family for less than 3 dollers TOTAL!

    Also, thought you might be interested in this recipe that I made tonight. I guess we did our own version of meatless monday (albeit unintentional!)

    I have made this quite of few times in our marriage and it is delightful:

    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/NU00463

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angie! I always like to try new things:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds yummy!!!

    I like to make curly noodles with steamed carrots, broccoli and califlower in a butter garlic sauce for our meatless dinners.

    ReplyDelete