Saturday, January 15, 2011

The HoJo

Now, I have stayed in some pretty awesome hotels in my life. I guess they were motels but I don't like to get caught up in the details. Just like on our honeymoon in Florida when we couldn't find our hotel because the little detail that it was a Ramada Inn and not just a Ramada Suites seemed to escape my new husband and we were literally driving up and down this one street going into EVERY SINGLE Ramada there was. Needless to say, it was a night that I will never forget!

This past summer Garrett and I, plus a couple of awesome friends, got to experience some luxurious stays:-) The first was a Days Inn. Now Days Inn's aren't that bad and this one was decent. But the last night of our stay we walked into our lovely room just before midnight to find a gaping hole in the wall. And when I say gaping hole, I mean I could have jumped out of our window (we were on the second floor). The maintenance people were apparently replacing all air conditioning units and they never brought us a new one or even our old one back. I am guessing they thought we wouldn't even notice that it was missing. It wasn't as humorous at the time but when I look back it was pretty darn funny:-) (A shout out to our friends who stayed with us in the lovely room - "G-night erbody!")

But I think the hotel, I mean motel, stay that was the most memorable was our little stay in July. We were driving to the beautiful state of Colorado but were going to take a break in the middle of nowhere and sleep the night. We wanted something cheap and that had a continental breakfast - so we got a room at the Howard Johnson. Now, I have stayed at motels like Budget Inn, The Hub (yes, that was the name), The Motel, but this was by far the best-worst motel ever! We later found out that it was nicknamed the HoJo - lesson of the day: if you ever hear that a hotel has a nickname that has Ho at the beginning beware. The beds were lumpy, you were not sure if you should take your shoes off, taking a shower made you wonder if you were getting dirtier and sleeping under the covers meant taking a risk. But it served its purpose and some of us slept a few hours. Even though I will probably never stay at a HoJo again, it was definitely a hilarious stay and a trip that I will never forget!!!!

One thing I have learned in my life is that sometimes cheap things are cheap. But friendship and people are what make things memorable. I wouldn't trade the memories for anything and the price was just right!

1 comment:

  1. last year, todd and i tried to take a cheap getaway weekend and just went to des moines. the sign on our hotel said,

    'what up. low rates.'

    um, yeah. and the guy checking us in appeared to have been in a bar fight, and when we checked out and went to get in our car, there was this car FULL of people (like, 5 or 6 people in this one tiny car) just sitting in the parking lot and smoking weed.

    it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete