Saturday, January 29, 2011

When one member hurts, we all hurt.

"If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together." 1 Corinthians 12:26

Two and a half years ago I witnessed the marriage of a high school friend and the love of her life. They promised to love each other in sickness and in health until death parted them. Now, her husband is fighting a battle with cancer and I am sure she is fighting with all of her being to be strong for him. But it looks like cancer is going to win this battle.

The thing is, when you hear him speak, you hear a man who is sad that he will be leaving his wife sooner than he ever planned. You also hear a man of great faith in his Savior. Why? Because no matter what happens God has won. God has won the bigger battle. He has won the most important battle. God sent His Son to overcome sin and He reigns victoriously! And he realizes that even at the end of the day if there is no miracle cure that God is still good. But that doesn't stop the ache of knowing he will be leaving his wife a widow at age 25...

So, I am hurting with her as she prepares for what lies ahead. I am hurting with him as he will most likely be leaving his beautiful wife he adores too soon. As the body of Christ, we hurt when one part is hurting. I weep with her. I weep for him. I weep because they are weeping. And I rejoice with them knowing that God has a plan for him and has a plan for his life. And that God has prepared a place for him...

My heart is heavy for my friend. Please pray for her and her husband and their families. Pray for peace and pray for a miraculous healing if that is God's will because God is bigger than all of this.

Dear Refuge of My Weary Soul

Dear refuge of my weary soul,

On Thee, when sorrows rise

On Thee, when waves of trouble roll,

My fainting hope relies

To Thee I tell each rising grief,

For Thou alone canst heal

Thy Word can bring a sweet relief,

For every pain I feel


But oh! When gloomy doubts prevail,

I fear to call Thee mine

The springs of comfort seem to fail,

And all my hopes decline

Yet gracious God, where shall I flee?

Thou art my only trust

And still my soul would cleave to Thee

Though prostrate in the dust


Hast Thou not bid me seek Thy face,

And shall I seek in vain?

And can the ear of sovereign grace,

Be deaf when I complain?

No still the ear of sovereign grace,

Attends the mourner’s prayer

Oh may I ever find access,

To breathe my sorrows there


Thy mercy seat is open still,

Here let my soul retreat

With humble hope attend Thy will,

And wait beneath Thy feet,

Thy mercy seat is open still,

Here let my soul retreat

With humble hope attend Thy will,

And wait beneath Thy feet

1 comment: