Friday, November 19, 2010

Long overdue!

We have had a house full of random sickness the past couple of weeks, so my motivation to write a post had dwindled. But alas, here I am!

I said I was going to post about ways our family saves money. So here I go full force:-)

One of the ways we saved money was by cutting our internet and cable package. We decided to do this when we got a bill from Mediacom that was twice as much as we expected (our one-year fee was up and since we were not "new" clients we got charged full price). This was just not in the budget.

At first we decided that we would just cut our cable down to basic cable since that HAD to be cheaper than even the introductory price. WRONG! It was actually going to cost us more than we had been paying before to get 20 channels. I then called and cancelled our cable with them all together but we were still paying a lot for internet. So I did some research and we decided to go with Qwest (I think that is what it was) and lower our MBPS. I called Mediacom back up and explained that we found cheaper internet and would no longer need their service. They asked me the price I would be paying through the other service and I told them $35/month. Some how magically they said they could lower our price to match that for as long as we are clients of theirs (this also meant no hassle for me to have some guy come and set up the internet).

I was always told to call places like these because they WANT you to stay with their service and WILL lower their prices. Lo and behold, that really is the truth. We did have to still lower our MBPS but we honestly did not notice a difference in how fast our internet works. And instead of paying $65/month for internet we are now paying $35/month. We don't have cable but that is a personal choice of ours that has actually been a good thing. There is a lot less mindless tv watching in the evenings and a lot more quality time spent together after Eden and Cooper are in bed. I do miss the Food Network but hey, you can find most of that online anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment