Wednesday, August 19, 2009

You know you're a mom when...

You squeeze your baby’s diaper to see if they are wet.

You take a peek in the diaper to see if you can see if it is dirty.

You can feed and change your baby in the middle of the night without waking up.

You swear you hear a baby crying.

You talk to your baby in public – when they are asleep.

You wipe the spit-up off you and wear the same clothes the rest of the day.

You find your baby’s bodily noises hilarious.

You laugh at your baby when they make faces and can’t stop laughing.

You find yourself taking baby talk to other people when the baby is not around.

These are just a few of the things that have come to mind when I think of how I know I am a mom.

Eden is doing really well. She is usually asleep between 7 and 8 (sometimes 9 depending on how much she napped during the day). Then she sleeps for 5 to 6 hours, wakes up to eat, and then wakes up every 3 to 4 hours to eat. It has been much nicer to get more consecutive hours of sleeping. She is also a paci girl. She liked to suck on my finger to calm herself or when she was bored but I am not always around – so as of yesterday she took her paci! She doesn’t sleep with it, just sucks on it during little spurts throughout the day. Eden has also learned how to grasp and grasp hard. I have to be careful of anything I wear but that’s okay with me.

Now, here is a story I have for you:

Eden and I ran to Walmart to get some bathroom cleaner and a few other things. Eden had been really good but was starting to get fussy so I knew it was time to wrap things up fast, which I did. Well, I got behind this lady who took forever! Eden was screaming and the woman kept giving me dirty looks – what am I supposed to do with a screaming baby who needs to go home to sleep when you are taking forever with the cashier (she was arguing the total of her purchases and then went through everything item by item). I had unloaded my cart and was trying to calm Eden or I would have went to a different line. Here is the kicker – the old woman behind me came up and started trying to calm Eden herself! She started touching her feet and she even got real close. She kept saying how pretty Eden was and how she would never hurt a baby. I tried moving my cart forward a little so she might get the hint that it is not okay to touch my baby unless you ask and you are a stranger! I was in between Eden and this woman who kept trying to touch Eden and kept trying to have this long conversation with me (she asked about me breast feeding and stuff like that). I know she was probably lonely and I would have been more than happy to talk with her but please do not touch my child. I am not really protective about people holding and touching her at all but this was a complete stranger at Walmart. Plus, stores are dirty places and I always wash my hands before I get close to her face after shopping – I am not a germ freak or anything but who knows who touched the cart I was pushing. I just didn’t feel comfortable but I had no idea what to say to get her to stop touching her. Eden of course calmed down as soon as I put her in the car and she was asleep by the time we got home. I just want to know how to politely tell people to back off.

Well, I am off to play with my cooing baby girl:)

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!! I totally feel you about people touching the baby- Jake is constantly putting his hands in his mouth and everyone always grabs his little hands. He was screaming one day in the store, so I was trying to check out and leave ASAP. Instead of ringing me up the lady was reaching over the counter to talk to him and touch him and I wanted to murder her. I am the MOMMY HERE- if I can't calm him by talking to him, YOU CERTAINLY CAN'T! RING ME UP SO I CAN TAKE MY POOR KID HOME!!!

    I think you should add "Having poop on your shirt/in your hand/etc doesn't phase you" to your Mom List.

    ReplyDelete