Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Asking me not to eat is like asking me to not breathe…

I had my 3 hour glucose test today. It was the longest three hours of my life (not really but it seemed like it went on forever). I got there at 8am and didn’t get started until 8:45, so I was going on almost 13 hours of not eating anything. The nurse made me drink a fruit punch flavored drink with 100g of sugar in it. I was doing alright while I drank it and then the nausea hit me like a bug on a windshield. The nice thing about this appointment was every nurse felt bad that I had to do it and tried to make me as comfortable as possible. So, they put me in a little room by myself with a couch and stuff and let me watch mindless tv.

I started getting really sleepy and kind of sick feeling but then all of a sudden the sugar must have hit Eden because she started dancing with the stars in my tummy! It was hilarious to watch and feel. Then she must have crashed from the sugar and just settled down for a little bit. Now she is moving again. Anyway, that was that and after watching three hours of tv and getting 5 viles of blood drawn (should have only been four but the nurse accidently put my blood in the wrong tube) I was free to leave. I am assuming I passed since no one told me anything.

So, it was about 11:45 when I finally left and I was hungry as hungry could be. My head was still spinning from the sugar and a 10 minute drive back to work took me 20 minutes because I couldn’t remember which way to turn. But once I got food in my stomach my brain started working!

I go back to the doctor in May 19th to get checked out again and maybe then I will find out if I passed this test!

Oh, something so cute that I have to share it: On my way to work a momma duck and her 8 little baby ducks crossed the street! Five mechanics stopped traffic to let them cross safely too! It was the cutest thing ever! If I would have hit one I would have needed to take bereavement to recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment