Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Christ's Birth

I was listening to the song "The Night Before Christmas" by Brandon Heath and it got me thinking about Mary delivering baby Jesus.

Anyone who has been in labor knows it is not an easy task. It hurts and the pain is so intense that you can't breath and can't move. But you know it will end, so you eagerly endure it.

Can you imagine Mary? She is about to give birth to the Savior of the world. This is not an ordinary labor. It is probably the greatest birth story ever! And it is such a lowly birth story and yet, so great and perfect of a humble entrance into the world it was.

When I gave birth to both Eden and Coop, I was in a hospital surrounded by supportive people who had helped hundreds of women deliver babies. I was in capable hands. Mary only had Joseph, who I am pretty sure never delivered a child in his life. I don't even know if Mary gave birth all by herself while Joseph waited outside or if he was right there with her. I am sure she was terrified. This was her first child. This was God coming as Man and she was His mother. The pain you feel is terrifying when it's not exactly what you expected (and honestly, you never know what to expect). Plus she had the added pressure of birthing the Promised One.

I remember being worried that I was going to deliver Coop on a small hospital gurney and yet Mary gave birth on the floor of a barn.

After my children were born they were carried off to be cleaned and wrapped in a nice new blanket and get one of those little hats stuck on their cute little heads. After Jesus was born there was no one to carry him off and clean him and wrap him in a nice, warm blanket. He was wrapped in some random linens. It's humbling beyond words to think of how our Savior came into this world.

What a brave woman Mary was. What an awesome man Joseph must have been. What an amazing way to bring the King to save us all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCitZPr2oD0

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful- such a humbling thing to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is kinda late, but this song was recommended to me last month, and I thought the exact same thing! (not about my personal pregnancy experience, because I can't have that...haha), but how amazing Mary was! It was also discussed at our bible study before Christmas. I pray you and Garrett and the kids are overwhelmed with happiness and love!

    ReplyDelete